Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I didn't know this. Did you? "Curry"

I ran out of Curry powder. I use it as a spice in some raw food recipes. I went to the store to buy some more. When I looked at the store shelves I noticed different brands of Curry were different colors. "Hmmm, Why?" I thought. So I figured that maybe the cheaper brands were not pure. So I looked on the back of the Curry bottle & sure enough, there was no Curry listed in the ingredients. I looked at the other brand & the same thing, no Curry. Then, I went to the bulk department for Curry Powder, but no ingredients were available. So I decided to wait & go home & google (or search the internet) for pure Curry.

THERE'S NO CURRY IN CURRY......I was shocked. I didn't know this, The Wikipedia encyclopedia says that Curry is a generic description & Curry powder is a mixture of spices of widely varying composition.
Hmmm, the Curry conspiracy causes me to ask myself "I wonder what else I don't know?"

I will make my own at home from now on & not pay the expensive price that is charged for a little bottle of "Curry" combination.


Here is a Curry Combo from http://tumerica.blogspot.com/2005/11/you-can-make-your-own-curry-powderand.html
Curry Powder
1/4 cup black peppercorns
1/4 cup cardamom pods
1/2 cup coriander seeds
1/2 cup cumin seeds
1 stick of cinnamon (if desired)
A few cloves (if desired)
A scant handful of fennel seeds
Turmeric to taste (if desired)

There are dozens of other spices you can add to your original recipe: fenugreek, curry leaves (I use this for fish curry only), asafoetida, etc. But if you start with the most important ones: black pepper, cumin, and coriander--you won't go wrong.
 Here's another option for a Curry combo from http://www.gretchencooks.com/recipes/707_Make_your_own_Curry_Powder
2 tsp. mustard seed
1 tsp. fenugreek or 2 tsp. celery seed
4 Tbsp. ground coriander
4 tsp. ground cumin
4 tsp. tumeric
2 tsp. ground cardamom
2 tsp. mace
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. fresh ground pepper
1/2 tsp. each: cayenne, ground ginger, ground cloves, nutmeg
Briefly raost mustard and fenugreek seeds in a 300 degree oven; let cool and grind to a powder with a mortar and pestle. Uniformly combine this powder and the remaining ingredients. Store in a tight-lidded container. Enjoy! -Diana

And another choice for a Curry combo. From http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/144595/create-your-own-curry-powder-mix
1 tb Ground turmeric
1 tb Cumin
2 tb Coriander seed
1 tb Powdered ginger
1 tb White pepper corns
2 ts Fenugreek seed
1 sm Dried red chilli
2 ts Cardamom seed
2 ts Powdered mace
1 ts Mustard seed
8 Whole cloves; (or 1/2tsp
1 ts Poppy seed
1 Bay leaf
Place all the spices in a small electric coffee grinder and whiz for 4 minutes. Transfer the powder to a small metal hand sieve and shake to let the powders fall through. Toss out the gritty remains. Unless you own a mortar and pestle and want to pound out the last drop of seasoning.

And Finally, My favorite (because it's easiest & least ingredients). From http://jeenaskitchen.blogspot.com/2009/04/how-to-make-homemade-curry-powder.html
Ingredients to make homemade curry powder
8 Tbsp Cumin Powder
7 Tbsp Coriander Powder
2 Tbsp Ginger Powder
4 Tbsp Turmeric Powder
1/2 Tbsp Cayenne Pepper/Chilli Powder
Mix all of the spices thoroughly. Store in an air tight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment